There is no doubt that the mobile-age of the Internet is upon us, with a growing number of individuals accessing the web on their smart phones and tablets. It is virtually impossible for companies not to have a mobile-friendly website … or is it? Surprisingly, data reveal that across the world businesses are being much slower in the uptake of mobile websites than the development of mobile internet is demanding. Even some of the big players have not gone mobile friendly yet.
So, why should you buy a mobile-friendly site?
This graph illustrates the projection for global Internet use on Mobiles Devices Vs Standard Computer systems – Desktop / Laptops. According to this information mobile internet use is expected to surpass conventional desktop and laptop Internet use by 2014. An additional important fact to consider is that 50% of local business searches are already performed on mobile gadgets.
Other key points to consider
- There are currently 4 billion cell phones in use worldwide
- 1.08 billion of these are smart phones
- 50% of local business searches are carried out on mobile gadgets
- 86% of mobile Web users are using their devices while watching TELEVISION
- A third of Facebook’s 700 million users are utilising Facebook Mobile
- Half of twitter’s 175 million account holders are making use of Twitter Mobile
Taking a look at these data it is really surprising how many sites are not yet mobile-friendly. In cases where businesses have actually accepted the mobile web (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, and so on) a (often significant) rise in mobile web traffic has been experienced.